The internet is a fantastic place, but it can be challenging to navigate if you are not able-bodied. Creating an AODA compliant website is not as challenging as it may seem, so there’s no reason why all websites shouldn’t be made with accessibility in mind! The internet should be available to everyone, regardless of their abilities or disabilities.
Tips to make your website accessible to people with disabilities:
- Make a text-only version of your site.
- Design for screen readers and voice-to-text software.
- Provide captions on videos you post.
- Have a skip navigation button at the top of each page.
- Don’t rely solely on colour contrast to convey information.
- Avoid using small font sizes and complicated fonts which may be difficult to read.
- Add descriptive text for your media files, like a caption or transcript of the video that describes what’s happening in the image/video.
- Use headings throughout each page so people can scan their content with screen readers (and other assistive software).
- Avoid using pop-up ads.
- Add alt tags for all image files.
- Add audio versions of blogs.
- Avoid auto playing content, especially videos.
- Provide explanations when using abbreviations, using tag.
- Make sure dropdowns/submenus are navigatable.
- Use clear and simple language throughout your site, not overly complex words/sentences that people with disabilities may struggle to understand.
- Have a sign-in option for customers who wish to access their account online (like email or Facebook). Sign-in options make it easier for people with mobility issues who may find typing difficult on laptops, mobile keypads etc.
- Offer keyboard shortcuts that allow people to navigate more efficiently through menus or clickable elements. Make sure they are well documented in an easy-to-find place.
If you follow our tips when designing your website, users of all abilities can easily navigate your pages without any difficulties! If you don’t have time or expertise available to design a website accessible to people with disabilities, get in touch with the web design team at Bluedot Marketing.